Throbbing or burning sensation, chest pain in left. Lipid panel, EKG, cardiac enzymes are normal. What is causing this?

i've been having this throbbing /burning sensation with aching left sided chest pain radiating to my left axillary since november 2011, i had cardiac enzymes done, multiple ekg's, echo done, chest x XXXXXXX and everything is normal. but this feeling is driving me crazy.. Also had a chem 7, CBC, LFT, XXXXXXX Vitamin D hydroxyl, lipid panel done last week and they were normal
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 minutes later

It is good that your cardiac status and other lab investigations have come out normal. It rules out the serious causes of such burning sensation in the chest.
One important cause for such burning sensation in the left side chest can be gastro esophageal reflux disease – GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Its diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy or upper GO (GastroOesophageal) endoscopy.

It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.