Ask a Dentist   »  

Throbbing in head, sore throat, dizziness, frequent fevers, mouth ulcers. Medication?

Sore throat for a week
Slight head throb for a week when bowing head
Slight dizziness for periods of 2 seconds or so throughout said week
Now i have fevers that come and go (3days)
Ulcers under tongue, on top of tongue and cheeks
Teeth and gums extremely painful
throat still very sore
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later

Thanks for the query. I will do my best to help you find an answer.

Well, this sounds like an infection that is manifesting as sore throat, fevers, headaches, and mouth ulcers. If one could see the lesions, it would make it much simpler, but I will make some guesses based on what you are describing.

One option is called "hand-foot-and mouth disease". It is a viral illness that has systemic symptoms like you describe, and the lesions in the mouth look like little white areas with a surrounding red base. It is caused by "coxsackie virus" and treatment is just supportive therapy - rest, tylenol, etc.

The next option is oral herpes zoster, or reactivation of the chicken pox virus. The lesions in your mouth would likely be confined to one side.

Next is oral cold sores.

These are all possibilities. Given the variety of causes, and variety of options for treating (if either of the herpes viruses are involved, antiviral would be indicated) I would consider getting these checked out in person.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you need additional information.

Good luck!