Throbbing in head after exercise and orgasm, dull pain later. Due to preeclampsia? Brain tumor? Migraine?

I am 38 years old. I have noticed recently that when I exercise, (instense workout, like a steep hike) I get a dull throbbing sensation in the left top side of my head that lasts several seconds. Afterwards, my head has a dull pain sensation for several hours. It doesn't really hurt, feels more like pressure when this occurs. And it's always in the same exact spot on my head. I also have had the same dull pulsing sensation during orgasm. In the same exact spot on my head. Seems to be caused by increase in blood pressure? My BP is normal. However, I did have Preeclamsia in both of my pregnancies. But the blood pressure returned to normal shortly after I had my kids. What could this be caused by? Something serious like brain tumor or an anuerism? Or Migraine related? Migraines run in my family. I never really got them but I do occasionally get a headache right before I get my period. Also, wanted to note that.. Yesterday I took tyelenol before going on a hike and it did not happen.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later

From the information given to me it looks like you are suffering from migraine headache's. Exercise is often noted as a trigger for migraine. Migraine usually starts at a particular trigger spot on the head and persists as dull aching pain for minutes to hours.

I personally feel blood pressure is not the cause for your headache's. The character of the headache does not support the possibility of you harboring an aneurysm or a brain tumor.

Headache during the orgasm is more common in those suffering from migraine. Headaches are brought on by sexual activity — especially an orgasm. You may notice a dull ache in your head and neck that builds up as sexual excitement increases. Or, more commonly, you may experience a sudden, severe headache just before or during orgasm.

Beta blockers which are used to treat migraine may be taken daily to prevent migraine headaches. Indomethacin, an anti-inflammatory, or triptans, a class of anti-migraine medication, can be taken an hour or so before sex to ward off headaches.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Neurologist. You need to be on medications to prevent migraine becoming more chronic in the future.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist