Throbbing in calves of legs, muscle spasms, twitching. Deep vein thrombosis or vitamin deficiency?

the calves in my legs(both) have been throbbing for short periods of time a few times per day for about 10 days. there is no pain, only muscle spasms and twitching. i previously have had 2 dvts. one after leg surgery and the other randomly. i am not now on coumadin. do you think it might be dvts in both legs forming, vitamin defiency or something else?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 37 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Perhaps the most important consideration in your case is your past medical history. while it is not likely that you have a blood clot in both of your legs right now this is something which certainly needs to be evaluated by a physician in the near future. The fact that you had previous lower extremity blood clots put you at an increased risk for development of additional clots in the future. The blood cut you had around the time of your surgery is not necessarily as contributory as the other one which occurred randomly.

We usually associate pain with blood clots more than anything else. You are describing more of a twitching phenomenon. Other things which could possibly explain what you're experiencing include vitamin deficiency or possibly a low hemoglobin. Again these are things which only can be really truly evaluated precisely by your physician. Certain electrolytes such as sodium potassium for calcium could cause symptoms such as those you are experiencing if the level is abnormal. Also if your hemoglobin is slightly low it could also cause it twitching or cramping of legs.

I really think the symptoms you are experiencing warrant a visit to your doctor may request an ultrasound of your legs to rule out a DVT. Again I don't think this is likely but it is certainly something which needs to be evaluated.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert