Throbbing elbow pain, shoulder pain, family history of hinge joint problems. Treatment ?

Hi, I am a baseball player and after pitching 2 innings last week I began to get a throbbing elbow pain that went from the lateral to medial area of my elbow and up towards the shoulder as pain worsened. Any ideas of what it is? I am 19 years of age, 5'9", 190lbs, and my dad has had hinge joint problems.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 40 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you have a painful elbow. And with a background of baseball, which involves lot of throwing, the first doubt that I believe is a "Little Leaguer's Elbow."
Referred to as medial apophysitis, or the inflammation of the medial apophysis of the elbow joint.

What you need to do is rest for 2-3 weeks, ice packs, then a change in the throw technique. Over the counter pain killer might be helpful in reducing the pain. You can try ibuprofen 400mg twice daily for 3-5 days. Despite these measures if pain persists then you need to see a specialist.

You can read a lot about this commonly occurring condition from the american academy of orthopedic surgeons site.

Your BMI comes to be at 28.1 which places you in the overweight category, perhaps you can try other modes of physical exercise later for your weight loss, if baseball is troubling you. You are still 19, and can comfortably come back to the normal weight with the right diet and exercise.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me. I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.