Throbbing arm, very painful, all through the day, wakes him up from sleep. What causes this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 26 year old son has throbbing under his right arm, it will last about a minute and continue throughout the day. The throbbing will wake him up at night. please advise.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
A persistent throbbing pain under right arm could be due to a swollen lymph node, a pulled muscle or a nerve compression.
A direct physical examination is needed to ascertain the cause.
You need to consult your physician for proper treatment. Meanwhile you can try doing a hot fomentation and take a mild over the counter pain killer like acetaminophen or advil and see if it provides some temporary relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.