Throbbing and tingling in head, vein or muscle inside head, episode lasts for few seconds.Causes ?

Neurologist
Question
Hi - I have been having a weird sensation in my head for a few weeks now, basically it in the top of my head towards the front and its like a throbbing/tingling sensation inside my head not evident on the outside nor can it be felt from the outside when touched. it's like a vein or muscle throbbing and feels very strange. The sensation lasts for a few seconds at a time and happens on and off throughout the day.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

There are a few things which come to mind with the symptoms you report and none of them you are experiencing is life-threatening at this point of time.

One possible explanation for this would be your anxiety and stress. I think this is most likely a tension type headache.

Though exact reason for these kind of headaches is not known, probably it is due to a heightened sensitivity to pain in certain people. Potential triggers for such headaches include - Stress, Depression and anxiety, poor posture, working in awkward positions or holding on in one position for a long time.

If these sensations become disturbing, a variety of medications are available to stop or reduce these and one of them is amitriptyline.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your GP and get started on the medications if required.

You can even do some relaxation exercises and meditation as these are known to help in some people with similar problems.

Bye.

Follow-up: Throbbing and tingling in head, vein or muscle inside head, episode lasts for few seconds.Causes ? 4 hours later
Could this have anything to do with high blood pressure (I don't think I have high blood pressure) but this was a concern. I have also had a few small blue dots in my vision recently which I had forgotten to mention. Thanks for your help.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me.

These kind of sensations can be sometimes caused by hypertension.

But you need not worry as your blood pressures are normal.

Blue dots in the vision are called as floaters which can be a normal phenomenon.

So do not worry as you don't seem to have a serious problem.

Take care. Bye

Follow-up: Throbbing and tingling in head, vein or muscle inside head, episode lasts for few seconds.Causes ? 45 minutes later
Sorry finally, how would I know if I had high blood pressure. I had my blood pressure taken in March this year, could it have risen since then.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 16 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me.

Blood pressure can arise at any point of time in the life.

Symptoms of hypertension are: dizziness, blurred vision, fatigue, bleeding nose, nausea. Initial high blood pressure symptoms include: paleness, nausea, dizziness, fainting often, loss of balance.

Patients with symptoms of high blood pressure should take appropriate steps to control the disease at the onset itself.

As your blood pressure was normal in march, you are less likely to have high blood pressure.

You can re-check every 6 months and make sure it is in the normal range.

As it is 6 months now get it checked to confirm that your blood pressure is normal.

Take care. Bye.