Throat swelling, discharge from eyes, enlarged tonsils, post nasal drip. had a tonsillectomy surgery. Treatment for recurring sinus ?

Question
I HAVE HAD LONG STANDING SINUS/EAR/NOSE ISSUES. DEVELOPED ENLARGED TONISL ON RIGHT SIDE. hAD TONSILLECTOMY 6 MOS AGO. I HAVE LONG STANDING SWELLING OVER NASOLABIAL FOLD AND CHRONIC POST NASAL DRIP. WHEN I AWAKE I HAVE SWELLING AND GUNK AROUND MY EYES. AFTER AM UP THE SWELLING GOES AWAY AND MY THROAT SWELLS WITH POSTNASAL DRIP. ANY HELP WITH WHAT THIS MIGHT BE?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis. Since you are having sinus issues and now swelling over nasolabial fold and eyes which are the sites for sinuses (maxillary, frontal) and post nasal drip, it is an indicqation of worsening of the sinus issues causing chronic sinusitis.

It can be due to allergic nasal polyps or tumors, allergic reactions, deviated nasal septum,trauma to the face, respiratory tract infections, allergies such as hay fever, immune system cells or cystic fibrosis.

It is important to find out the cause of chronic sinusitis as then specific treatment can be started. Treatment varies from saline and steroid nasal sprays to decongestants and antibiotics.Some resistant cases may need surgery.

You should get it checked from an ENT specialist and get transillumination (passing light through the sinuses) or Sinus X-rays or CAT scan of sinuses. Till you get these tests done, inhale plenty of steam.

Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water, helps to ease the symptoms of catarrh.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us. Wishing you good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Throat swelling, discharge from eyes, enlarged tonsils, post nasal drip. had a tonsillectomy surgery. Treatment for recurring sinus ? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response. I have been to ENT and have had a number of NPLs. amultiple courses of antibiotics. I have also been on Nasocort, Astepro etc. ENT thought that once I had tonsil removed things would clear up. I now have fb sensation in throat and constantly get food stuck where my tonsil once was. Also have very blood shot eyes. Is it possible for rhinitis/sinusitis can cause all this swelling in my head?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back and for the clarification.

Rhinitis/ sinusitis can cause swelling of sinuses and blood shot eyes as well. In such a case, allergies causing allergic rhinitis and sinus congestion should also be thought of. Allergic rhinitis is a collection of symptoms, predominantly in the nose and eyes, caused by airborne particles of dust, dander, or plant pollens in people who are allergic to these substances.

You should contact an allergic specialist and get skin tests like skin prick test done. In this a small amount of allergen is introduced into the skin of the forearm and the reaction of the skin is noted. If there is any redness then that person is allergic to the allergen introduced.

You can also get blood tests like RAST ( radioallergosorbent test) done.
Since you have tried decongestants and steroid sprays, you can go in for immunotherapy also.

Regards.