Throat started itching, getting cold and cough. What should be done to decrease cough?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
last Tuesday night after dinner my throat started etching, then in the morning i got sever cold. then through out Wednesday i have been sneezing, i took water vapor with amrutanzan and cold started decreasing, by Thursday morning my cold decreased but cough started.Even after taking cofdex tablet cough did'nt decrease.Kindly suggest me what to do to decrease cough and tell me why this throat pain followed by cold then cough attacked me.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Running nose with sneezing and nasal irritation and itching in the throat is likely to be caused by allergies or viral infection. These symptoms are usually self limiting. Symptomatic relief can be found with use of
a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day for 3 days
b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril
c) Antihistamines / mast cell stabilizers.
d) Avoiding dust and allergies
e) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids.
The mild cough that you are having is usually due to pharyngitis caused by the infection. This is also self limiting with warm saline gargles thrice daily. In case there is significant pain on swallowing with expectoration then throat swab culture and systemic antibiotics are needed to control the infection. You can consult your physician for the same.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.