Throat pain with burning sensation, white spots on the tonsils, swelling and pain. Cure?

I have pain in my throat with burning sensation. There are some white spots in the tonsil area of my throat. I also feel pain when I swallow. There is some swelling in the same area.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A pain in the throat with burning and white spots on tonsil area along with swelling are all suggestive of pharyngitis or tonsillar infection. The swellings you are seeing on your back of the throat are your swollen tonsils.
Common viruses and bacteria like streptococcus can cause a sore throat.
Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.
Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.