Throat pain leading to chest congestion and cough. Had antibiotics but recurring. Suggestions ?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor,

I am having throat pain and later that leads to Chest congestion and cough. I have to take antobiotics and cough syrup to get rid of this. I have been administerd with Amoxilin and Potassium Culanate-200 ( twice daily) 2 weeks back. The cough and cold subsided, but reoccuring again. My food habits are normal and I dont take any fridge items. Could you please suggest what needs to be done now.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

Thanks for the query

Throat pain and cold associated with cough and chest congestion is due to presence of both Upper and Lower flu there is nasal congestion and blockage of sinus secretions. Stagnation of the nasal secretions can get infected and later when these secretions trickle down into the throat they cause pharyngitis and further down infect the lower respiratory tract. Both of these problems can be ruled out with a complete examination of the upper airway and a chest examination.

You would require a chest and sinus x-ray to look for any inflammation in the lungs and blockage of the paranasal sinuses. Apart from that, the strength of the medicine you took couple of weeks back i.e. the combination of Amoxycillin and the clavulanic acid is very less. The normal dosage for an adult with both upper and lower respiratory tract infection is 1 gm twice a day. When the dosage and the strength of the medicine are not adequate the infection might recur. I would suggest you, to talk to your doctor and request for the x-ray and change of antibiotics.

Also, do steam inhalation 3-4 times/day for reducing the consistency of the secretions, use saline nasal spray, a mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxol) and drink plenty of warm water (to reduce the throat congestion).

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon