Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, painful neck and shoulders. Early stage throat cancer? Chronic sore throat?

I have had a slight pain in my throat for a couple of years. I am not sure if it is muscular, as my neck and shoulders hurt as well. There is slight irritation sometimes when I swallow. I don't seem to have any other symptoms and my immune system seems strong. Can you have something like cancer of the throat in an early stage that could cause the neck muscles to hurt without causing other symptoms for such a long time, or would your throat muscles being in pain be something that happens later. I have had some hard knocks on my life and now I am trying to live in a more healthy way. I have a child on the way and I get worried about my health. This throat thing consumes me at times. Is there a such thing as chronic sore throat? I very physical labor and have pulled my neck and back many time. Can that cause sore throat?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A chronic irritation in the throat with out any symptoms of cough and cold may be due to dryness of throat or a small ulceration in the area.
Proper investigations and detailed examination by an ENT specialist will help in pin pointing the diagnosis.
Till the time you XXXXXXX your ENT specialist avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
Regarding the pain in the neck and shoulders, it is not likely to be related to the sore throat like sensation. It is more likely to be due to cervical spondylosis and can be detected on MRI and X-ray of the neck under the care of an orthopedician.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.