Throat pain, coughing, hoarse voice, pain on breathing. Should I take medications?

ENT Specialist
Hi, i am having throat pain since last 5 or 6 days while XXXXXXX birthing and cuffing and voicing loud, Pls help me what needs to be done, and shall i take any medicine or consult any ENT doctor.
is it normal throat infection and symptoms of any major illness.
Pls reply
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Throat pain while taking XXXXXXX breaths, coughing and shouting is due to a sore throat caused by an Acute Pharyngitis. Acute pharyngitis is commonly due to straining such as with coughing and shouting, or acid reflux if there is no fever. Fever signifies a viral or bacterial infection.

To differentiate these conditions you must get your throat examined by a local ENT Specialist. This is a clinical examination, possible only on direct examination. There is no standard definition / description of a normal throat.

You should avoid exposure to tobacco and alcohol if you take any. Start a medicated gargle such as Betadine or Tantum. If not, at least warm saline gargles. You may start a cough mixture such as Honitus. Further medication such should be under the supervision of a doctor.

If your cough is dry, it is more likely to be an allergy or common viral infection rather than a serious illness. You may find relief with anti allergy medications like antihistamines.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.