Throat pain, cough, fever, no cold

ENT Specialist
Bad Throat ache without cold, cough and fever
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later

Hello, I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon.

Based on information provided it appears you have acute pharyngitis (acute infection of throat). It can be viral and bacterial. As you have told that, you do not have cold cough and fever. It appears to be viral or an early stage of bacterial infection.

As it progresses and you develop fever or cough in next few days you will need a course of antibiotics, decongestants, analgesics, anti-allergics and gargles with betadine mouth wash.

If in next few days, it stays same and there is no change you will need decongestants, analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs.

However, there can be other causes too like acute tonsillitis, ludwig's angina or acute epiglottitis, post nasal drip. I would advise you to consult an ENT surgeon.

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if you need more information on this

With regards
Ravinder Sharma