Throat pain, cough and blocked nose for a long time.

ENT Specialist
I have throat pain (for almost a week),cough sometimes in night and nose is blocked for almost a month.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Throat pain without fever, cough on lying down at night and nasal obstruction is most likely due to acid reflux, allergy, post-nasal drip and stress.

2. Acid reflux includes GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) and LPR (Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux). In LPR, heartburn is absent.

3. Anti-allergic tablets such as levocetrizine (Vozet) will relieve allergy. However, they cause excessive dryness as a side effect. This worsens throat pain and causes nasal stuffiness. Post nasal drip also causes throat pain. How is the quality of your voice in the morning immediately after getting up?

4. Azithromycin (Aziclass) tablets may not have helped as there is no specific infection, but only inflammation.

5. You should start an anti reflux medication such as Mucaine gel, medicated gargles such as Tantum, a dry cough suppressant syrup such as Ascoril-D, mucolytics (with anti allergics to prevent excessive dryness), nasal steroid sprays and steam inhalation. All this should be under medical supervision. Some of these are OTC and you may begin treatment while you schedule an appointment with your local ENT Specialist.

6. Further investigation will be based on whether your symptoms subside or continue / worsen. Basic blood tests may be required to rule out infection, eosinophilia and thyroid hormone disturbances.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.