Throat pain at night, difficulty in swallowing. Taken antibiotics. Further treatment?

My throat hurts alot at night? Only at night? I can swallow only at night? I wake up usally like at 2-3 and sleep with halls in my mouth? I been tested for strep , came back negative! I still took a ten day antibiotic and no help! What do I have ? What's wrong with me? During the day I don't have any throat pain. All I might feel is a little tierd from waking up at night!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 58 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Odynophagia (Painful swallowing) that you have will need an examination. If you already have been seen by an ENT doctor, and still have symptoms after negative Strep and antibiotic course, then I would have little to contribute.

If not, then many other reasons apart from infection that your ENT doctor should be able to investigate into. Your nocturnal periodicity to me looks like something benign else it should have been continuous all day. If you had been prescribed antibiotic by your doctor for 10 days, it means a serious infection of the throat. So, mention all details like name of the antibiotic and dosage. I cannot comment without them. (Penicillin is not available as 500 mg. It is mentioned in IU)

Most common reasons include - inflammation, irritation to some foods, allergy etc.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me. Please accept my query in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Throat pain at night, difficulty in swallowing. Taken antibiotics. Further treatment? 4 hours later
Hey gave me the antibiotics before I got the test result of negative strep. I think my doctor is just plain ignorant !
What can I take or what do u think it is
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 30 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Based on the presentation that the pain in the throat increases in the night while lying down I suspect it to be infection of the epiglottis .The inflammation and swelling of which will make lying down painful in the throat.

The antibiotics doctor has placed you on are considered empirical and are started on the belief that it could be due to organisms which are sensitive to penicillin.

The treatment of the same should be now by getting a repeat culture after a gap of 5 days from the old one if negative again treat with a combination of antibiotics ,this can be decided by doctor who examines you and can confirm the fact that it is epiglottitis.

Wish you good health.