Throat is very sore and red. Difficulty in swallowing. White blood count is normal. Can this be strep throat?

My throat is very sore and red. great difficulty swallowing. My tonsils were removed many years ago and my white blood count is normal. Can this be strep throat? Low energy and other flu like symptoms for a month and a half.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pharyngitis mostly due to viral orgin.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

We doctors call this condition as Pharyngitis.(Inflammation of the throat)

In your case if appear to be mostly due to viral infection due to flu like syndrome and tiredness.
This may lead to secondary bacterial infection where Streptococcus is the most common bacteria.

But for confirmation you may need a throat swab and culture to establish the organism.

Salt water gargling and analgesic will suffice if it is viral pharyngitis.
Antibiotics may be needed in the presence of bacterial infection.

Hope the answer helps you.