Throat is swollen, uvula looks irritated. Have prolapsed mitral valve. Had viral pharyngitis. Treatment?

Geriatrics Specialist
i have an uncomforatable feeling in my jugular notch area for months. It is not anxiety and throat xray showed nothing. I had viral pharyngitis about 3 weeks ago but this sensation has been there longer. I have had a sore throat again for past week. Throat is swollen, uvula looks irritated. Also have prolapsed mitral valve.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 28 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,
The most common cause of irritation and inflammation of throat and surrounding structures are viral pharyngitis .Infected region shows the symptoms of irritation until it is completely cured.
Usually no treatment is needed in cause of viral Pharyngitis , It is self limiting.
Treatment are usually symptomatic cure. The inflammation will reduce by itself . advised to gargle twice daily with BETADINE solution, to reduce the irritation and inflammation.
If you have difficulty swallowing, then drink liquids, use lozenges, mix salt with warm water to gargle.
Only bacterial infections generally require antibiotics. Rest your voice do not scream or sing loud. It is advised to cough by covering your mouth .
If you further have worsening of symptoms , consult an GP and get treated after proper examination.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Throat is swollen, uvula looks irritated. Have prolapsed mitral valve. Had viral pharyngitis. Treatment? 23 hours later
Hi had a throat culture and turns out it is strep. Is it possible that the tightness low in my esophagus is from this? Feel likes there is a lump in my throat.
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 12 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing back,

Yes, streptococcal infection may be related to the tightness in your esophagus and lump in the throat. It should recover with your current antibiotic treatment.

However if symptoms persist, other possibilities such as gastroesophageal reflux diease needs to be ruled out. Endoscopy and 24 hour esophageal pH monitoring is in order.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask for further queries.

Take care and get well soon.