Throat infection, tonsillitis, feverish, cold, headache. Medication?

ENT Specialist
I am having throat infection looks like tonsilitis, feeling feverish, cold and have a severe headache. I have been doing gargles but have not taken any medicine yet. what should I do next? could you prescribe any medicines or do I need to see a doctor in person for this. please recommend, thanks.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later
hi, thanks for the query.

From your history it is clear that you used to suffer from 2-3 episodes of throat infections every year.

Now let me tell you about this condition, actually you are suffering from chronic tonsillopharyngitis, and on exposure to cold or change in envioronment this chronic infection flares up, and this is known as acute on chronic exacerbation of symptoms.

The infective focus is your throat itself, commonly the tonsillar crypts, That usually harbour the microbes.

What you will have to do now--

1- Avoid any cold and oily diet.

2- Warm saline gargles at least 3 times a day.

3- vitamin and mineral supplementation to raise the body immunity.

4- take a course of antibiotic, antiallergic.

I am sure you will be all right, hope this answer will help you.

and I am ready for future follow ups if any.