Throat infection, fever, white spot inside throat, tonsil removed. Can give ceftum tabs ?

can I give ceftum 250mg ,twice a day to my 7 year old son.he is ufferning from an infected throat,he has a pain in his throat and fever.When i look in his throat i can see some white spots.His tonsils have been removed
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 20 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand that you want to know whether you can administer Ceftum Tablets to your kid ?

Now, I read the he got an itch with Taxim-O tablets earlier.

White spots may mean several things depending on investigation like
1) Healing of tonsillectomy wound, 2) Infection. This should be investigated initially.

First, Ceftum should not be administered to him as he is allergic to another cephalosporin drug (Taxim-O). And 2 drugs from same class should not be administered. Alternative antibiotics would be discussed with your physician.

Second, I do not know if your physician has already prescribed Ceftum or not, but do inform the allergy and review before taking the tablets.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.