Throat infection, fever, painful swallowing, cold turkey feeling. Can I take Cefspan?

i have a throat infection and fever .I know this symptoms since it has happen to me before. It hurt when i swallow, i have fever, cold turky feeling. I do have a prescription of cefspan at home but it is expired since april 2011... Since we do not have acces to private hopital in quebec, canada and the waitting takes up to 16 hours, would you think this prescription can hurt me ?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 24 minutes later

You seem to be suffering from Tonsillitis and antibiotics help in overcoming these symptoms.The medication Cefspan which you were prescribed is Cefixime and is a good antibiotic for controlling the described symptoms.

You can take the antibiotic after discussing with the Physician.

Some other measures which would help you:
1)The best treatment for throat infection is steam inhalation.
Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose.
You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot.

2)Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, cold food and meats and eat simple wholesome foods.

3)Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.

4)You can also take some antihistaminics and analgesics for the pain and inflammation relief.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query.