Throat infection, fever, diarrhea, vomiting. On antibiotics, now stopped. How long will the diarrhea and vomiting continue?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is suffering from infection of the throat in five days. We went to the doctor and described to us antibiotic. In the first two days increased the fever. on the third day and fourth temperature dropped to normal. On the fifth day my son suffered from diarrhea, vomiting and high temperature. I ask the Dr. And he say this is normal, and ordered me to stop giving my son's antibiotic. It is happening with my son normal temperature and diarrhea and vomiting on the fifth day. How many days will continue to diarrhea and vomiting. With thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 44 minutes later
Hello ,
Antibiotics may cause decrease in normal gut microorganisms which are necessary for body, therefore causing antibiotic induced diarrhoea and acidity which in turn causes vomiting.
Usually it resolves on its own in 2_4 days after stopping the antibiotic.
Sometimes if doctor feels that there is excessive vomiting and diarrhoea causing dehydration then treatment should be started .It is usually treated with probiotics like enterogermina or any lactobacillus preparations for diarrhoea , antiemetic like domeperidone or ondansetron , and oral rehydration solution for keeping the child well hydrated.
So you should first and foremost keep your child well hydrated by giving adequate water, home available fluids like soups, juices and oral rehydration solution (ors)
If symptoms persist for more than a couple of days or child develops signs of dehydration like, dry mouth, decreased or no urination , weakness then please visit your pediatrician for starting the appropriate treatment.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Throat infection, fever, diarrhea, vomiting. On antibiotics, now stopped. How long will the diarrhea and vomiting continue? 1 hour later
But the baby have fever ?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
I am sorry, but I thought you mentioned the fever had subsided after the first day of vomiting diarrhoea.
In that case considering baby still has fever then a repeat consultation is definitely warranted and if feasible some tests like complete blood count, stool routine, throat swab, etc to confirm the diagnosis and start away the treatment.
There is a possibility that this could be a viral infection which are usually known to subside on its own only after a week to ten days, but at present I would advise you to visit your doctor and get your child investigated and treated accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query.