Throat infection, dryness of throat, breathlessness following oral sex. Should I be concerned?

ENT Specialist
Hi I have a question. Recently I visited male prostitute and perfomed orally without a condom, since that eve two weeks ago I felt sick, got throat infection with pus bags which eventually went away, and now back of my throat is constantly dry. It is so dry drinking water doesn't relieve and sometimes I feel like I lost breathing ability until I force a quick breath. I haven't seen a dr yet
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is common to have dryness in the throat after a throat infection. There may be a temporary damage to the delicate lining of the throat (cilia) due to the infection. The dryness is the cause for the 'out of breath' feeling.

2. It is not clear whether you took any medication.

3. Dryness in the throat may occur due to many other reasons such as:
a. A side effect of the medication/s,
b. Acid reflux,
c. Mouth breathing due to a stuffy nose,
d. Post Nasal Drip,
e. Dehydration,
f. Stress & anxiety and so on.

4. Get a Videolaryngoscopy done. A throat swab may help. Routine blood tests may be done. Commonly transmitted infections should be ruled out. It is too early to get a definitive test result for Hepatitis or HIV.

5. Use a medicated gargle and use lozenges. After seeing these test results, further treatment options may be discussed

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.