Throat hurts while swallowing pills. Feeling diarrhoea and stomach problem. Looking for relief

ENT Specialist
My throat hurts, when i swallow pills it feels like their stuck and it hurts very bad when i lift my tongue up. ive had a fever 2 days ago and now i feel like i have diarrhea or a stomach problem.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. From the image, you have an acute pharyngitis (throat infection) which makes the throat hurt while swallowing, including the feeling of pills getting stuck in the throat and pain while lifting the tongue. You also had fever.

2. You ave not mentioned any details of your medication. Sometimes, the infection is viral and hence medication does not help. However supportive treatment is required to reduce the severity of the attack.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your throat. A throat swab or any discharge may be sampled for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. Routine blood tests may be advised by you doctor.

4. You may require a further course of antibiotics, pain killers, anti-allergics, medicated gargles and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision. Your diet should be absolutely bland, with no cold, spicy or sour foods. Try a medicated gargle immediately to soothe the throat.

5. You may share your throat culture and blood investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. Get your throat examination and correct medication prescribed by a local doctor for prompt relief. Inform your guardians or parents as the case may be.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.