Throat hurts when swallowing, white spots seen. Reason?

My throat hurts when I swallow. It feels like something is stuck. So I had my husband look and he sees a white spot in the back of my throat with what he says looks like a small piece of wire sticking out. Don't know why this would happen, but i am a bit concerned. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

According to the symptoms reported by you(pain on swallowing,white spot in throat) it seems that you are most probably sufffering from Tonsillitis.When the tonsils are infamed they become red,swollen and have a surface coating of white spots.

Tonsillitis can be due to either virus or bacteria and the white spots are more in favour of Streptococcal infection(bacterial infection).

You might require a course of antibiotics and pain killers for the relief.
Treat pain and fever. Talk to your doctor about using ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) to minimize throat pain and control a fever.

Consider visiting a Physician for examination and if required throat swab and Blood test would be done to help in diagnosis.

Meanwhile some suggestions for you:
1)Do hot water gargle after adding a pinch of salt 3 to 4 times a day.
2)Drink plenty of water and other warm fluids as soups.
3)Use throat lozenges and soft food.
4)Take adequate rest and stay in warm temperature.
5)Avoid irritants. Keep your home free from cigarette smoke and cleaning products that can irritate the throat.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: Throat hurts when swallowing, white spots seen. Reason? 16 hours later
There is definitely something stuck in the back of my throat. It looks like a hair or a little stem. I can even move it with a q-tip, but I can't get it to dislodge. I have gargled with warm salt water which got rid of the white spot, but the splinter remains. I've decided to just deal with it until it comes out on its own.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

I sincerely feel that the infected tonsils is giving you that feeling .

But if you still have doubt then consider getting it examined as trying on your own might hurt and can cause injury to the surrounding areas as oral cavity is a sensitive area.

You will have to get it examined by a ENT specialist.

Wishing you speedy recovery!