Throat dryness that worsens at night. Get headache on taking contraceptives and medicines for BP. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
hi have dry troat that gets worse of a night i snore worse than ever i have put on a lot of wieight and have no get up and go like i used to i just wat to sleep i have high blood pressure any medication i take like vitamins and the contricetptive pill hrt give me give realy bad headach the headach tablet they give me make me tired hrt give me
i am very depressed about this and dont fill like carrying on i need to sort myself out the doctor doent seem very interested
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later

You have high blood pressure , thyroid disorder probably low thyroid, mild arthritis, gained weight (? recently), surgical history of hysterectomy, and now the complaints are snoring and dry throat.

Without an opportunity to examine you physically, I am unable to provide you with specific instructions; however based on your complaints and past medical history, I suggest you few things:

1. Consider visiting an ENT specialist and describe your symptoms to them. You can plan the following tests under the specialist's guidance-
- Thyroid function tests
- Polysomnography to see for snoring and rule out sleep apnea
- Flexible Nasopharyngolaryngoscopy to see for any nasal disease or throat disease as cause of snoring
2. Get your blood pressures checked frequently and take care of high readings adequately.
3. Go for Brisk walking daily if possible morning and evening, start with simple walking and then speed up and increase the distance too.
4. Take multivitamins and specially Calcium as after menopause calcium requirements increase and will be good for your arthritis.
5.Take precautions for reflux disease i.e., reflux of food from stomach to throat--
(it occurs in night and sometimes the patient is not aware of it)
- Proton pump inhibitors with prokinetic drugs half an hour before meals
- Antacid gel/syrup half an hour before meals
- Keep head end of bed elevated.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking if any.
- Avoid spicy food     
- Avoid late night coffee
6. Get your Blood sugars checked to exclude diabetes.

All these lifestyle modifications and investigations will give your doctor's clues as to what may be wrong and the means to treat it.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Throat dryness that worsens at night. Get headache on taking contraceptives and medicines for BP. Suggestions? 8 hours later
you say take multivitamins but as i have aready stressed to you when i take any vitamins i get migrains visual desurbance bd headach and feel sick which all off this is making me very depressed i take parcetamol for my headachs
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Hello ,
I was specially stressing on calcium supplements they will be good for your arthritis.
Normally multivitamins do not cause headache, i do not know why you are having it .
It is an advice, always take multivitamins full stomach ie after meals.
"Do not curtail your food and go on taking multivitamins."
multivitamins are supplements not replacement of food.

If you have headache even then ,then avoid taking them.
But live healthy go for walk daily eat fresh vegetables fruits drink lots of water ,take citrus fruits and most important drink milk.
Avoid taking paracetamol frequently.

Do reply if there is any other confusion.