Throat discomfort, discomfort in left rib cage. History of IBS.

ENT Specialist
I have a fist list feeeling by the left rib cage and I can follow the uncomfortable feeling up into my left side of throat just below my right ear. I was diagnosed with ibs years ago but this is a new feeling.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Acidity and acid reflux may cause this discomfort. GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) and LPR (Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux) are common causes of discomfort in the left rib cage and throat.

2. Your ear sensation may be a referred sensation due to irritation of your throat. Recently, acid reflux has also been found to be capable of reaching into the middle ear and sinuses.

3. There may be other symptoms of GERD or LPR such as dryness of the throat, frequent throat clearing, bitter taste in the mouth, choking, dry cough, change in voice and so on. Do you have any other symptoms?

4. You need a trial with anti reflux medication including Mucaine gel for two weeks. Meanwhile you may get an ENT examination and videolaryngoscopy done. You should also consult a gastro-enterologist and a general medicine specialist to rule out cardiac or chest related causes.

5. An abdominal ultrasound (USG) will help rule out a sliding hiatus hernia. There are newer esophageal pressure and pH monitoring devices available.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.