Throat discomfort, difficulty swallowing, no pain, bumps under chin, cough, runny nose, headache, fever

Hi there! A couple days ago (I believe Monday) I started to feel like I had something smaller than the size of a pea in my throat that I wasn't able to swallow. It was only on the left side of my throat. There isn't any pain and I have no problem eating or drinking and today it seems like whatever is in my throat has moved slightly down or isn't as big possibly, but it's difficult to tell. Also under my chin up against the left side of my throat if I feel around I am able to feel what feels like two small bumps (lymphnodes?). They also do not hurt and but I keep trying to feel for them (not pressing hard) so my skin and the area itself is slightly irritated. I do not have a cough, runny nose, headache, or fever (that I am aware of) but I am very stressed about this. I went into a fast care / minute clinic yesterday and the Nurse Practitiononer said it sounded like allergies or my body was fighting something off but couldn't narrow it down for sure. I am really worried this is something more serious but she told me to just wait and see if it goes away and didn't offer any antibiotics or anything. She did mention my throat looked red but my personal guess is it was because I kept trying to swallow. She also told me to take zantac before bed because it could be acid but I feel like it is too high up and a combination of the bumps and the throat and not just acid, but I am not certain. I did as she asked anyway. I do have insurnace but it has a decenlty large deductible that would dip into funds I would prefer not to part with due to other things in life right now. Do I follow her advice and wait or does this seem like an immediate visit to a ENT specialist is necessary? Keep in mind I "think" the condition has stayed the same or possibly gotten "slightly" better since yesterday but please provide your honest opinion if I should pay a visit to the ENT right away.

Thank you in advance.
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From your description, it seems to be a minor viral infection of the pharynx. Doing warm saline gargles might help with the improvement.
In my opinion, it is just a minor problem which is likely to improve spontaneously over next 3-4 days. There is no need to consult an ENT specialist immediately.
You can self monitor yourself and in case the problem is aggravated- associated with cough, fever or difficulty in swallowing then you may proceed for an ENT evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Throat discomfort, difficulty swallowing, no pain, bumps under chin, cough, runny nose, headache, fever 2 hours later
Thank you for responding. Are the small bumps on the upper left side of my throat due to lymphnodes or swelling? I just always assume the worst if I feel any bump(s). Just looking for reassurance or explanation on those.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The small bumps on the left upper side of your throat are likely to be glandular swellings may be related to tonsils. Such swellings can be due to minor viral infections in the area. A direct examination will help in the better assessment.
The small swellings under your chin are likely to be lymph nodes.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.