Throat burning and having taste of bleach when using clorox with bleach spray. Should I be worried?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi, I was cleaning with clorox with bleach spray for my shower and sink, comet for the toilet, and windex for the mirror about 15 minutes ago without a fan/window. My throat is burning a little bit and when i was cleaning i felt like i tasted bleach in my mouth. should i be ok?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
You have probably inhaled the bleach fumes and this is giving you the symptoms you describe. A burning sensation in the throat with coughing is common. Also, burning and watering eyes and burning in the mouth.
Although unpleasant, your symptoms are not serious if you have now left the area where you were cleaning. Breathing fresh air will help. Drink plenty of water. The symptoms are most likely to subside over the next few hours.
If any of the symptoms get worse or you have difficulty breathing then a visit to the emergency department would be advisable.
I hope this advice has been helpful. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger