Throat bleeding, no neck or throat pain, heaviness in throat and nose

hi Doctor, Im 35 year old male pls suggest me what to do as Bright red blood comes in when i clear my throat .it started 3 to 4 days only and today also.iam not having any kind of pain in my neck or in my throat. fealing some kind of havy XXXXXXX in my throat and in my nose.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

Bright red blood when you clear your throat indicates bleeding somewhere in the respiratory tract. It can be due to lung causes like COPD, lung abscess, emphysema, pneumonia or tuberculosis. It can also be due to bleeding from the nasopharyngeal tract.

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is it present only in cough or in sputum also?

2)     Is the cough worse at night?

3)     What other symptoms do you have?

4)     Do you have any recent weight loss of prolonged fever?

5)     Is there a history of smoking?

I will suggest getting a microscopic examination of the sputum done. It is also better to rule out get a chest X-ray or CT chest and an ENT examination done to rule out any lung cause like any infection, inflammation or any benign or malignant growth of the lung.

Sputum examination and chest x-ray will also clarify whether there is any hemoptysis which is the expectoration (coughing up) of blood or of blood-stained sputum from the bronchi, larynx, trachea, or lungs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.