Three months pregnant, frontal hemispheric epidermoid cyst. Taking encorate. Will the child be affected?

dear brother my wife have 3month pregnant now she take encorate 500mg tab three times a day for brain frontal hemispheric epidermoid cyst operation she is now future my child have to affected by the tablet
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Encorate 500 is known to cause defects in the child. If used during pregnancy, it can cause many major anomalies like spina bifida ( a problem with the spine), neural tube defect, cognitive impairment in the newborn,and even lower IQ.

It should be only used when there is no other medicine that can effectively control the problem of seizure.

I would like to know if her treating physician ( who prescribed the ENCORATE) knew that she is pregnant.

As of now, what we can do is do a ultrasound to make sure that the child is fine. A few more tests would be needed to make sure that there is no problem with the child.

She needs to be switched to an alternative drug in consultation with her treating physician.

Please see her gynaecologist and treating neurologist to make sure she gets to the correct treatment fast.

Hope this answer is helpful to you. In case you have any other query, please write back and I shall help you.