Threadworm infection in pregnancy. Complications during childbirth?

i am due my baby tommorrow and have discovered i have threadworms i have been to doctors yesterday and he prescribed me and family pripsen which i took yesterday. last night i found a treadworm next to my vaginal opening, could they cause harm to baby, or problems when i go in labour. im supposed to be getting a membrain sweep o9n thurs will this still go ahead. help please im just sooo worried and feel embarrased. my 6 year old son had them first and i have contracted them from there i think thanks
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Threadworms in pregnancy isn't good news. There is always chance of infection of the sac.

Drug therapy is recommended. Along with that strict personal hygiene and perianal cleanliness is necessary. The rest of your family needs to be treated too.

I suggest you stay away from any possible source at this advanced stage of pregnancy. Repeated hand washing is very important. After every bowel movement, its imperative that you stay clean.

You need to finish the medicine course. And strict hygiene maintainance is needed.

Infection of the amnion during labour is the most XXXXXXX complication.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Threadworm infection in pregnancy. Complications during childbirth? 25 hours later
by drug therapy do you mean the pripsen which i have started and will follow up in 2 weeks. i cant stay away from souces as this would be my 6 year old son. and i have them now. i have been extra clean and am worried sick about this for4 the sake of baby. i have a sweep tommorrow do you think my midwife will go ahead with this thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow-up.

Pripsen (Mebendazole) is one of the drugs used in the treatment of threadworms. Continue the course as advised. Membrane sweep is done for stimulating labour. Its necessary to examine you before it can be said whether you will be induced.

If your due date has passed, then induction should be done.

Upon examination, if there is no immediate evidence of threadworms then induction can be done.

There is no need to be excessively worried about this, with treatment it can be cured effectively. You can safely go ahead with the treatment and labour at this time.

Wishing you a safe delivery.