Thirsty, disoriented, fatigue, sleepy after tea. Have been persistent. Ruled out allergy. Is it yeast overgrowth?

Infertility Specialist
Hi again three days ago I drink a cup of tea at a resturant. In about less than 5 min my throat close up a little bit I thought there was a piece of food stuck in there. Hour after that I feel extremely THIRSTY and NAUSEOUS and DISORIENTED and very very FATIQUE and very very SLEEPY. A day after that I went to see a doctor he said it was an ALLERGIC reaction and gave me PREDNISONE 10mg with precise instructions for 7 days and to take BENEDRYL for 3 to 4 days. Today is the third day of the whole event. I still feel all the symptoms above. I'm very TIRED and DISORIENTED with EXTREME THIRSTY ALL THE TIME and DRY MOUTH now with mild nausia and very FATIQUE I feel like I just want to sleep and I stop taking benedry for 48 hours already and symptoms is before benedryl my job require stand for 1 hour at a time than 20 min break. I'm only 29 years old I feel like i'm 60 right now. Will I be ok? Is this from another underlining illness? Is this the affect of the medicine, I thought predisone suppose to wake my up? Do I have some kind of serious illness like diabeties, cancer or something? I feel like something is brewing in there. I just also got off Augmentin 4 days before the event. Could it also be yeast overgrowth? Please read my symptoms carefully and answer all my questions. I really need your advice I'm really scare. Thanks in advance.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Some people are allergic to tea. Two of the most common tea allergies are to chamomile tea and linden tea. A tea allergy is a bad reaction of the body's immune system. It is a food allergy.

Some people are so allergic to tea that they go into anaphylactic shock, which is when a person's throat completely swells up and he cannot breathe.

1) Swelling: 

If you have a tea allergy, you may experience swelling of your body. Your lip and tongue may swell. You could have some facial swelling. Alert your doctor immediately if you have problems breathing or swallowing, or if your throat swells.

2) Eyes: 

If you suspect you may have a tea allergy, check your eyes. A tea allergy can make your eyes very watery. They also may be red and sore, or may feel itchy. This can last for a few minutes up to a few days as you are experiencing.

3) Runny Nose and Sneezing:

A tea allergy may give your a runny nose, which can last for a couple of days. You may also sneeze a lot, but this probably will last only a couple of hours.

4) Skin: 

Check your skin. You may feel like your skin is very itchy.

5) Headache: 

You may feel like you have a headache. The pain might be in the front or the back of your head. If the allergy causes your sinuses to act up, you even may get a sinus headache. The headache could last for a few hours or a few days.

Most symptoms are not XXXXXXX and they clear up within a couple of day to a week. So please continue your medication.

You may take tablet citrazine after prescription from your physician.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Thirsty, disoriented, fatigue, sleepy after tea. Have been persistent. Ruled out allergy. Is it yeast overgrowth? 1 hour later
So is my condition from medicine, allergies, or is it from some unindentified illness. How sure are you this is just food allergies symptoms. Why is it lasting so long? I'm on medication for 3 almost 4 days now. Why am I so fatique and tired? I do have headache in the front and in the back of my head, but my eyes just really red and dry. Please read all my symptoms. Are you sure all of the symptoms are from tea allergies? Thanks a speedy response is appreciated. I don't have medical insurance.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 24 minutes later
Thanks for reverting back.
I would like to reassure you that you’re suffering from an allergic reaction and there is no major underlying illness.
This is so because as the symptoms you described started immediately after having tea (so the symptoms developed acutely, which means suddenly and in a short period of time). Allergies usually present as acute illnesses. Major underlying illnesses usually present with long standing symptoms.
The tissue in your throat, nose and upper respiratory tract would have become oedematous (swollen) due to fluid collection. This would take about a week to normalize.
Headache and dizziness also could be your stress and decreased food intake due to oedema of throat. You have job which requires you to stand and thus your calorie requirement is high. I would suggest that you keep having juice and water frequently on duty to keep yourself hydrated. Allergic reaction leads to alteration in blood pressure. So get your blood pressure checked again.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.