Ask a Dentist   »  

Thin, brown threads after washing mouth with Listerine. No pain or bleeding. Hope this is not gum disease.

Hi...I am getting lots of brown thin threads/residue when mouth washing with listerine..I hope is not gum disease because i did teeth whitening at a mall...i am worried...also i do not feel pain but don't see any blood...usually this happens after brushing...thx for your replay
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 50 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have bad breath?
2.) Are your Gums swollen?
3.) Are your Gums tender to touch?

Your history suggest the possibility of Gingivitis, which is the inflammation of the Gums. But, it has to be confirmed, by a Dental Surgeon so that he can examine and will look for plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth and check your gums for redness, puffiness and easy bleeding to confirm the exact cause. Once confirmed, you will be treated accordingly.

If the cause is not found out, he/she may recommend that you get a medical evaluation to check for underlying health conditions.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Schedule regular follow ups to your Dentist.
2.) Brush your teeth twice daily.
3.) Floss at least daily.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Thin, brown threads after washing mouth with Listerine. No pain or bleeding. Hope this is not gum disease. 3 hours later

I have no bad breath.
I don't think i am swollen gums.
The gum do feel soft to touch though specially bottom teeth.

Can teeth whitening cause gum disease?

I forgot to mention that after I brush I can see blood in the white toothpaste residue I spit out.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Your follow up history suggests you have swollen gums and bleeding from them. This most probably suggests nothing but Gingivitis.

Don't be under the impression that teeth whitening causes this.

It also seems to me that you may have Vitamin C deficiency. You may consider taking Vitamin C
tablets, one tablet per day after breakfast for about 2 weeks. It helps to relieve your symptoms. This is an over the counter drug, you do not need a prescription for this.

As I said earlier, get yourself examined by a Dentist and get his/her opinion. After the treatment follow the lifestyle modifications which I had suggested, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.