Thigh pain running down to knee, pain in right side. History of bursitis. Can you advise?

i have a dull ache around the right thigh area which runs down to my knee if i cross my leg over to my left for a couple of minutes it hurts and at night when i lay in bed on my right side it aches more it is keeping me awake at night contantly acheing can you advise please i had bursitis in the same thigh 3 years ago yours faithfully mr XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later

Thanks for the question.

From symptoms this doesn't look like bursitis this time.

This is most probably because of a pinched nerve or lower limb radiculopathy (Sciatica ).

Common cause is bulging intervertebral discs in the vertebral column that compress on the nerves as they come out of the spinal cord. Symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution/path of that particular nerve.

Conservative treatment include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, and avoiding activity that strains the neck or back. The majority of radiculopathy patients respond well to this conservative treatment, and symptoms often improve within six weeks to three months.

A visit to your doctor would be ideal step.Regards.