Thigh pain, hurts to walk, shooting pain down leg if foot put down wrong. Sciatica?

I've been diagnosed with sciatica but everything I've read says you have pain in the lower back extending down the leg. I only have excruciating pain in back of my upper thigh. It hurts to walk but is doable, however if I put my foot down slightly wrong then I have a horrible pain shoot down my leg. So does this sound like sciatica and should I continue to work with this. I work for Costco and am very active.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long do you have this problem?
2.) Do you have tingling or numbness in your thighs or legs?
3.) Do you have good control over your bladder and bowel?
4.) Are you Diabetic?
5.) Does your Job require you to sit for prolonged periods?

Your history suggests Sciatica as it refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve and its branches from your back down your buttock, thighs and leg. It means it has just started to pain in your thigh and later on it may radiate to your leg.

It may be secondary to a Herniated Disc in your lower back, and it has to be confirmed. Hence get yourself examined by a Orthopedician so that he/she may do a physical examination and suggest X XXXXXXX or CT (computerised tomography)Scan if there is a Herniated disc which is causing pressure over your Sciatic nerve causing your symptoms. In acute cases, though the pain will be severe, it usually subsides on its own within a couple of months.

Herniated Disc is one of the causes, there may be various other reasons to it also. Your Orthopedician will rule them out. Once confirmed, your Doctor will prescribe Analgesics, Physical Therapy, Steroid injections or surgery if necessary to relieve the pressure off sciatic nerve.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Take breaks from Prolonged sitting every 20 minutes.
2.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism.
3.) Apply heat or cold packs on the areas of pain.
4.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes and maintain a healthy weight.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.