Thigh bruise, no discoloration, no temperature change, tender, no trauma. DVT?

For a week & a half now my upper thigh has felt bruised in one location that vears off & continues towards my groin area. I've experienced no trauma to the site & there is no discoloration or tempurature change. I'm concerned because I've read a lot online about DVT, etc. and wondering if this is something worth seeing my PCP over. It feels tender when I press on it and possibly slightly firmer than the area surrounding it. Any advice?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
Spontaneous appearance of a bruise with no history of trauma needs to be investigated thoroughly to find out the cause.
Since there is no pain or change in temperature, it is less likely to be due to DVT.
This is more suggestive of a bleeding disorder. Prolonged intake of drugs like aspirin may also result in such bruises.
You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by stopping aspirin, fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.