Ask a Urologist   »  

Thickening of tip of foreskin, feels tight when pulled back, blisters. Using Lotrimin. Is it a fungal problem?

Question
I have an issue with my foreskin.. I appear to have a thickening of the tip of the foreskin. When I pull it back it feels very tight and once pulled back the tight portion is white and feels tough and non-stretchy. The portion of white, non-stretchy foreskin goes completely around the foreskin.. Some of the skin on the affected white areas can be picked off almost as if it was a blister.. Needless to say I am very concerned.. This situation has escalated from being normal to now in approx 4-5 weeks.. From what I've read online I think I have bxo or some sort of yeast infection.. I have been treating it twice a day with Lotrimin AF in the hope it is a fungal problem for 2 days and I've not noticed any real improvement..

Help.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later

From your symptoms it looks like balanitis of the penis which is an inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis. It can be due to infection especially fungal infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.

You should consult your primary care doctor and get a culture swab and a KOH examination of the skin of the foreskin done to rule out any infection.

Till that time, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis. You can also use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin after consulting your doctor.

If the symptoms are worse then you may need topical steroids and also get the possibility of lichen sclerosus ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Thickening of tip of foreskin, feels tight when pulled back, blisters. Using Lotrimin. Is it a fungal problem? 22 minutes later
Thank you for your speedy response, I'm sure you understand how concerned I am..

Would an inflamation cause the tightening and hardening of the foreskin? Also, I'm not sure I understand why I am able to pick excess skin from the worst areas.

Can I expect to have a full recovery from this..? I've read some horror story's online about bxo.. what is the difference between bxo and balanitis?

Just to be sure you understand the pictures, I am not circumsized and the photos are of the foreskin having been pulled back..

Thanks very much.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Balanitis presents with tenderness and soreness and swelling of the foreskin and glans and pain or difficulty with retraction of foreskin. It may also cause dryness of the skin which can be peeled off.

Balanitis is curable with treatment and only very few cases need circumcision or recurrence.

Balanitis is caused by infection. But exact cause of balanitis xerotica obliterans (BXO) is not exactly known. It is a chronic disease and it was thought that it may be an inflammatory disease but no cause or infectious organism has been found to account for the inflammation. Now some think it to be lichen sclerosus et atrophicus (LSA) of the penis. Exact diagnosis can be obtained by a physical examination, swab test and biopsy.

Hence I encourage you to consult your primary doctor who after careful examination and relevant test can diagnose the condition definitely.

Wish you good health.