Thick, white, sour tasting discharge, no pain, itching. Not yeast infection

Question
hi, i have a thick white, sour tasting discharge. No pain, slight itch, but only with the discharge. I do not think it is a yeast infection as the discharge is different and hardly itchy at all - I have had yeast infections in the past.
It is thick and milky, but not stringy. No smell, just a sour taste.
Sometimes there is a lot, sometimes not so much.
I have had this happen before, it seemed to go away by itself, but now its back (it's been about a week) I don't remember it lasting this long before..
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
I would not be concerned much about your situation because it is not uncommon for a woman to experience thick white vaginal discharge which may go on for over a week which advocates that the hormonal influences are intact. Clear and whitish discharge occurs at different times of your cycle and can be particularly heavy after exercising or doing some strenuous physical activity.

This discharge is formed by the normal bacteria and fluids the vaginal cells put off and it can be more noticeable at different times of the month depending on ovulation and menstrual flow but sometimes the discharge can be dark, brown or discolored.

I want you to be aware of symptoms like, yellow or XXXXXXX colored discharge, discharge with bad odor, or if it is clumpy or cheese like. Watch out for itching, discomfort, rash or sores along with a vaginal discharge. If you happen to notice any of the above mentioned symptoms, seek instant medical help.
Right now i do not advocate for any treatment. Let the discharge subside on its own.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Thick, white, sour tasting discharge, no pain, itching. Not yeast infection 25 minutes later
Thanks for your response.
There is itching, just not as bad as thrush.

There is no clumps or discolouration. And its not clear/watery, it's thick and milky.

Could it be a yeast infection but not as bad?
It doesn't seem natural.. Because of the sour taste, and it's never lasted this long before.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The discharge you are having is more likely to be due to a normal vaginal discharge. Yeast infection is not likely with a thick milky white discharge.
In case the discharge persists till your next cycle then you might use clotrimazole vaginal suppositories for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.