The right side of face does not move. What could be the cause?

Cardiologist
Question
the right side of my face does not move

Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 58 minutes later

And you can speak and understand what is written? Are you right handed or left handed? Go in front of mirror close your eyes shut which eye is partly closed? Can you move right arm and right leg fully?

Are you hypertensive?

You are having either of two:

1. Stroke if you are on way to recovering some function left Middle Cerebral Artery
territory

2. Lowe Motor Neuron Paralysis of VII Cranial Nerve Bells' Palsy.

Please do not panic. Ask someone to drive you to the nearest Emergency Room. Both are potentially recoverable situations.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: The right side of face does not move. What could be the cause? 2 hours later
this started july 3 2012 .

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
As you have not said to any of the questions I asked, I take it this is only complaints. I will suggest you take an appointment with a doctor, though diagnosis on net is without seeing you in person and without examining you. A doctor on site can do it. Go to emergency room if you have any of the 6 symptoms:

1.Headachae
2. Pain in the ear
3. Inability to move any arm or leg howsoever minimal it may be
4. Any vision problem (seeing two or blurring of vision)
5. Vomiting,
6. Any problem in speech formation, not articulation (mild slurring can occur because of Bells Palsy the diagnosis I made).

Otherwise(if you are not going to ER), take an appointment for Sunday or Monday whichever is available at the earliest. Your doctor after doing complete physical and neurological examination may want to certain scans. He may start some drugs. So stressing again if you have any of the symptoms listed above, to be shown to doctor now whether it is late in night. If no symptoms, appointment can wait till the day time.

Bell's palsy is defined as an idiopathic (no apparent cause) one sided complete palsy that often occurs overnight.

It is thought that an inflammatory condition leads to swelling of the facial nerve. The nerve travels through the skull in a narrow bone canal beneath the ear. Nerve swelling and compression in the narrow bone canal are thought to lead to nerve inhibition, damage or death. No readily identifiable cause for Bell's palsy has been found.

Corticosteroids have been found to improve outcomes while anti-viral drugs have not. Early treatment is necessary for steroids to be effective. Most people recover spontaneously and achieve near-normal to normal functions. Many show signs of improvement as early as 10 days after the onset, even without treatment.
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW