The past three weeks i have a dry mouth and

ENT Specialist
Question
The past three weeks i have a dry mouth and throat and feeling like food keeps getting stuck now it feels like i just have something stuck at the back of my throat. I went to the dr on thursday and she remarked my throat looked red and sent me for thyroid ultrasound which came back normal. I can now see what i believe to be my epiglottis and still having thr feeling like somerhing is stuck please advise i have a apt eith ENT but not until friday. Do i need to go to the er
Posted Tue, 5 Dec 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dysphagia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
You are probably suffering from reflux disease leading to chronic pharyngitis and hence dryness and sensation of something stuck in the throat.
Please tell me do you have any history of regurgitation or indigestion?
Any history of constipation?
Epiglottis can't be seen as such.it might be uvula. Please send me the picture of your throat and tell me what medicine have you been taking so far so that I can suggest you better.
Follow up with the required information

Thanks and regards

Follow-up: The past three weeks i have a dry mouth and 26 minutes later
Do i need to worry about epiglottis swelling and closing up? When i looked this up it said it was a medical emergency. I have attached picutres i often have post nasal drip as well. I have not taken any meds. I have no fever either. I used to have acid reflux about 5 years ago and treated for that however i have been off the meds for a while and havent felt like i needed them. My ent apt is on friday is this okay to wait to then. I have attached picutes i am fairly certian it is my epiglottis at the back of my throat by my tounge on the bottom it looks whitish. When i coughed it seem like it moved. My tounge is also whitish looking which has been that way for a whwile i notice i have some larger looking tase buds as well I have no constipation i do have a small hiatal hernia

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dysphagia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information and the pictures.
The part of epiglottis visible in the attached pictures is absolutely normal. The whitish appearance is its normal appearance.
There is posterior pharyngeal wall congestion and hypertrophy which is a sign of post nasal drip. you should get a xray paranasal sinuses done to diagnose the cause for this.
The whitish appearance at the back of tongue is due to debris which can be cleaned off using hexidine gargles.
You should get an endoscopic examination of the throat done to rule out any pathology.
The symptoms are probably due to reflux disease and some nasal pathology only.
You should take an antacid regularly for around a week and avoid any spicy foods and aerated drinks.
Drink plenty of water.
Avoid a sedentary lifestyle.
There doesn't seem to be anything alarming but it would be better to get examined.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: The past three weeks i have a dry mouth and 13 hours later
Okay is it okay to wait until Friday to see the ent? When you google inflamed epiglottis it says it's a medical emergency since it can swell and block the airway. I've had this sensation for the past three weeks though and like food gets caught I would like to avoid an er visit if possible. What do you suggest? I have no fever or stirdor with breathing as it mentioned or drooling do you think itsEpiglottitis

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gerd

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Even I would say you definitely don't have epiglottitis. You probably have gastric acid reflux disease which completely explains all your symptoms.
You should follow the prescription. you will definitely be benefited.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: The past three weeks i have a dry mouth and 16 hours later
Thanks. Do you think this has anything to d with my small hital hernia? Can this get stuck somewhere and have the tissue die?o

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
GERD

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It doesn't have any relation to the hernia. Any frequent coughing might cause complication with the hernia otherwise there is no relation .
Thanks and regards