The outer edge of wrist has an extra bone. Will it be cured by surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
The outer edge of my wrist (the corner just below my pinky finger) has an extra bone on the corner that extends further down. It's been there for as long as I can remember. I'm rather slender, so I assumed that was why it stuck out so much. But I've realized that most people don't have that much bone that far down on their hand? Is it a bone spur possibly? Can surgery correct this? It's not painful but it makes my hands look much longer than they are and disproportionate to my frame.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in

You have positive ulnar variance meaning that your ulnar bone is longer than radial bone at wrist.
Positive ulnar variance is seen in about 10% of the population normally. It is also seen in several other conditions like ulnar impaction syndrome, tears of triangular fibrocartilage, lunotriquetral ligament tears and those who have undergone previous excision of radial head/
As of now, you require a X-ray of wrist to see the ulnar bone relationship with radial and carpal bones. A MRI would be required to evaluate for Triangular fibrocartilage complex tear and other ligament tears.

Surgery like ulnar shortening (Darrach procedure) can be done if it is symptomatic. You can leave it as such if it does not cause any problems.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: The outer edge of wrist has an extra bone. Will it be cured by surgery? 5 hours later
If I decided to have surgery to correct it are there risks that it would affect functionality? Also, what on average does the surgery cost if I decided to pursue that option?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later

Thanks for posting the query again.

If at present you have no any functional impairment you might not need surgery.
Because ligaments are attached to distal end of ulna so surgery can cause some functional impairment.

I can not comment about cost of surgery, it varies from your country to the one I am in. Even in your country from hospital to hospital. I would not be able to help you here. Ofcourse if you wish to explore in this part of the world I can assist you end to end.

If you have no further queries. Please accept, rate and give your reviews.