The left posterior triangle is a small subcutaneous ovoid lesion showing central echogenicity. What does it mean?

Is this something to worry about? : corresponding to the area of concern in the left posterior triangle is a small subcutaneous ovoid lesion showing central echogenicity and vascularity measuring 20 mm in maximum diameter. This is consistent with a rue actively prominent lymph node.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

You have not mentioned anything about the clinical features, like type of swelling, pain, pattern of increase, any systemic symptoms like fever, weight loss, etc. What you have mentioned is probably an ultrasound of neck report.

From this report it appears that there is 2 cm node in the left posterior triangle. These are mostly associated with infection, especially something in the scalp or ears, also dandruff.

If you can send me the details, I may be able to guide you better.

Follow-up: The left posterior triangle is a small subcutaneous ovoid lesion showing central echogenicity. What does it mean? 27 hours later
I was only really trying to understand what the ultrasound report meant. There is no pain. I noticed it about 4 weeks ago, it's still the same. There's only one. I have had fever that comes and goes away, but I haven't really been sick, just feeling very tired dizzy and short of breath like I can't get enough oxygen, usually accompanied by rapid heart beat and chest pain even though I'm just sitting down watching tv. I My nails have had a yellow tinge for some year now, and my index finger nail curves downwards significantly like a claw for a while as we'll. My recent blood test showed that I had high ferritin but very low iron. My resting heart rate is generally between 96-108 bpm. I have diarrhoea almost everyday, I am usually woken up in the morning by stomach aches about 6am resulting in multiple trips to the toilet. I have not lost any weight, though I feel bloated a lot especially around the left side near my chest under th nipple, an area about the size of a fist. I am itchy a lot, specially at night around my fingers, toes and ankles, but that's probably my eczema. The corners of my lips are dry, cracked and stinging, my skin in generalis very dry like I have ver little oil or moisture in my skin.
Thanks for follow-up.

The only point of concern is the fever which comes on and off with tiredness and shortness of breath. If these were not there, then I would have just advised follow-up. However, your physician should judge the significance of these symptoms and may order additional investigations or just follow you up.

Overall, I have a feeling that the probability of anything serious is low.