Testosterone levels are low. What can be done for improvement?

my testosterone levels are low what do I do about it.?
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 41 minutes later
Hi Coyles

Thanks for the query

Kindly tell me the reason or symptoms for which you were tested for testosterone

Testosterone is a sex hormone.

Any abnormality in this hormone in female is interpreted in the context of blood level of other hormones like prolactin, estrogen, progesterone etc

If you have done other investigations, do let me know for a better meaningful answers

I will await your clarification
Follow-up: Testosterone levels are low. What can be done for improvement? 3 hours later
I have had my bloods hormone done the the testerone levels are <3 and are low my FSH 6 are and my LH and oestradial are 490 and progesterone levels are<1 they think that i might have a skeens glad cyst and are checking if i do.I woll see the Urologist on Friday
I am 44 Female have not slept with my husband for 1 year its to pain full. Every day is to pain full
LH 4
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 3 hours later
Thank you for the clarification,

Yes, it is painful condition, but recoverable and treatable

Treatment options are hormone replacement, or sometimes if urologist or endocrinologist or gynecologist in consultation with each other, come to conclusion that the cyst may not be amenable to hormone therapy, then removal of cyst may be considered

Whatever the treatment modality may be, the outcome should be good and no need to worry so much.

Personal sexual life also should revert back to normal in due course

Hope this helps

I am available for further discussion

Wish you good health
Follow-up: Testosterone levels are low. What can be done for improvement? 1 hour later
are my hormone levels low or are they ok?
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or test different specimens.

Normally testosterone level is lower in female than male

In Female: 15 - 70 ng/dL; Male: 300 -1,000 ng/dL
(ng/dL = nanograms per deciliter)

Invariably, every laboratory report mentions the normal range on the side of your test results.

Measuring units (e.g like nanogram/decilitre in the values I mentioned above) have to be kept in mind before saying it is low or high

In your report you have not mentioned the unit

Therefore, talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.
Follow-up: Testosterone levels are low. What can be done for improvement? 11 hours later
what will hormones do to the cyst because they Gyno are telling me my hormones are ok but the test said they are low
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 hours later
Abnormal hormone levels affect the size of the cyst, alters the function of tissue from which the cyst is arising; or if the cyst is very large, it can affect the structure and function of organs surrounding it.

Therefore, in your case, a combined consultation from gynecologist, urologist and endocrinologist would help you

In addition, best person to interpret hormone level is endocrinologist (specialist in hormonal study)

Hope this address your concern.

Wish you good health.