Ask a Urologist   »  

Testosterone level is of 4.2 nmol/l. What does this mean?

I have a test done for my testosterone levels and result came up as 4.2 nmol/l (11.5-32.0).
What does this mean? and what can I do to get my test levels back to normal?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A testosterone level of of 4.2 nmol/l would be considered low.The normal general range is 9 to 32.
Low testosterone can occur for a number of reasons including: injury to the testes, slow development of the testes,problems with a gland in the brain called the pituitary gland which produces a hormone that influences reproductive function, severe chronic illnesses, liver or kidney disease,chronic alcohol use ,infection,diabetes,obesity.
You may or may not be experiencing symptoms related to the low levels- some men may have low sex drive, depression, erectile dysfunction, fertility issues,breast enlargement.

It is easily treated with testosterone replacement therapy which can be given in different forms.It can be given as a skin patch ,gel, injection or implant.
Men respond differently to it, some have a quick response, in others it more be delayed, some have an obvious change while it is subtle in others.It is thought to be generally safe.
You may want to consider speaking to an endocrinologist about treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Testosterone level is of 4.2 nmol/l. What does this mean? 12 hours later
Endocrinologist..? Can u refer me to any in mind?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later

I can give you a website which lists the doctors in australia and would provide you with an endocrinologist in your area.It will ask you for your post code,state and radius around post code.The name of the site is australian health directory and the web site is WWW.WWWW.WW au

After you get the names from the site, you may want to consider speaking to your GP to find out if they have any preferences, he or she will likely have been in contact with some of them before and will know from personal experience who has the best reputation.
I don't want to refer you just based on the site, personal knowledge of the person would be best

All the best, feel free to ask any other questions