Tested positive for staph in stools. Having green mucousy blood tinged bowel movements. Cries for pain. Help?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My grandaughter born on July 14 has tested positive for staph in her poop. Was having green mucousy blood tinged bowel movements. The ped says he has never seen this before. They started her on Bactrim. She appears healthy and is gaining weight but cries alot as if in pain. Please help. I'm worried sick about this.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 57 minutes later
thanks for writing to health care magic .
Your daughter might be suffering from staphylococcal enteritis.
This is usually of toxins released by the bacteria and not due to the actual bacteria. foods that are responsible for this intoxication are meat bakery foods salads and improperly stored foods.
Hot foods should be kept hot and cold foods like meat stored below 4 degrees. If food is kept outside for more than 2 hours or if reheated there is every chance for this food poisoning.
But dont worry.
The symptoms usually disappear in few days once the toxins are expelled out.
Give her usual food but no suagrs, no fibre or juices.
The cranky pain should settle soon.
This staph in stool is not uncommon , we do see a lot here , keep giving her electrolytes like pedialyte and plenty of liquids.
Wishing your kid speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Tested positive for staph in stools. Having green mucousy blood tinged bowel movements. Cries for pain. Help? 20 hours later
She is an infant and has only ever had breast milk. How would she have ingested it. . Do you think she should have her breast milk tested? The Dr. here thinks only if my daughter is symptomatic with breast pain. I think it should be tested anyway. My daughter is careful and sterilizes everything. Your answer would make sense if she were getting food or drink other than breast milk. How could it have been in the breast milk. She never pumps either so it comes directly from her breast to the baby.
Answered by Dr. Arun 45 minutes later
You need to test the milk anyway.
Staph can enter the milk ducts from skin, pads, clothing, etc.
Pain in the breast occurs only if the infection is severe to produce mastitis. Because breast milk is the only feed she is getting and no bottles ( I presume ) , you need to get it tested.
Dr Arun