Tested positive for mycoplasma. On antibiotic. Which specialist should I see for mycoplasma?

i have tested positive for mycoplasma 3 times since 2009 i have taken antibiotics each time which relieved most of my symptoms my doctor says that mycoplasma is not a big deal and that my body will probably heal itself and that if i was not having any symptoms i shouldnt even take antibiotics . mycoplasma is a bacterial infection . it is a CHRONIC infection! Chronic infections lead to chronic diseases! i have read that it is very hard to kill because it is a very tiny bacteria that lacks a cell wall . some doctors suggest STARTING with a 6 month treatment of antibiotics and waiting 13 weeks to retest and see if you still test positive. some doctors say mycoplasma can NEVER completely be destroyed. all the while it is suppressing my immune system so that my body cant heal and function as it should . i am female, 37 years old, no major surgeries, no major health problems. i had bloodwork done last october . my Cystatin C was high at 1.04mg/L, Insulin was really high at 130.3 uIU/mL (fasting), Glucose, Serum was normal at 78 mg/dL, C-reactive Protein was high at 5.1 mg/L (maybe my body trying to fight myco infection?), Vitamin D was very low at 33.3 ng/mL (have been taking D3 5000 iu daily since then), Trigycerides were borderline high at 142 mg/dL. i know something is wrong but i dont know what . i honestly think its all due to having the bacterial infection for almost 4 years {that i know of) my doctor says i got rid of it each time and recaught it from someone. i dont think ive ever gotten rid of it . what is your opinion based on this information . i there are several species of mycoplasma. how do i find out what type i have? what kind of specialist can i see about the mycoplasma. i also want my hormone levels checked and bloodwork redone and compared to last tests. any help would be appreciated. thank u!
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later

Thanks for the query

I agree with your doctor that most of the times Mycoplasma is not a big deal and it is easily treatable with antibiotics.
What you should understand at this point that Mycoplasma does not cause a chronic infection, most of it heals by two weeks. Repeated infections are possible through the environment.

I infer the following through your reports

1. Impaired glucose tolerance. (Higher fbs which is treated only though a restricted diet and exercise, check fbs every 3 months)

2. Vit D was low and your doctor has done the right thing by treating it

3. Triglyceride is normal if it is below 150. So no need to worry about it but please do exercise to bring it lower

The above problems have nothing to do with Mycoplasmal infection. Mycoplasma pneumoniae is the most common form that infects humans. No matter which mycoplasma has caused the infection the treatment is with the same group of antibiotics.

Internal medicine doctors are the best ones to approach for the problem, they will help you with the impaired glucose tolerance, Lipids and Vit D issue along with the mycoplasma issue.

I hope I was of help, I will be happy to clarify any further doubts that you have

Follow-up: Tested positive for mycoplasma. On antibiotic. Which specialist should I see for mycoplasma? 5 hours later
I suggest that u do some research on mycoplasma infections. They are not easily treatable with antibiotics. Do u know where I could get tested to see what type of mycoplasma I have?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 30 minutes later

Thanks for replying

It is true that Mycoplasma cannot be treated with the antibiotics which act on the cell wall because it doesnt have any but there are macrolide group of antibiotics which act on the organism and also fluroquinalones. Are you talking about the multiple drug resistant forms of the mycoplasma? They have to be treated with combination of drugs. The other interesting thing about them is that they are the smallest of the free living organisms

To see what type of Mycoplasma you have you will need to give your blood, throat swab and sputum samples for culture. Growth in culture is slow, requiring 3 weeks or longer in some cases. The culture medium is often unavailable except from specialized reference laboratories. If culture is attempted, alternative procedures including serology and molecular-based nucleic acid amplification tests should also be performed.
You could try at the following centre

Diagnostic Mycoplasma Laboratory
Attn: XXXXXXX Duffy , XXXXXXX Crabb, XXXXXXX Ratliff
1825 University Blvd.
SHEL 476
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL 0000-2182
Telephone number: (205) 934-9142

Thank you