Tested positive for mycobacterium genus. Is this a serious problem?

respected dr.tb pcr of my wifes blood sample is positive for mycobacterium genus[mott] .is it serious matter or we can ignore it.if serious what are further tests to pin point the problem. regards
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 13 minutes later
Greetings friend, there are several different types of Mycobacterium and some are slow growing and some are rapidly growing. Without more information, I cannot give you an accurate assessment of prognosis or seriousness. Certainly, she should follow-up with a physician regarding further clarification of this. Usually a lymph node lasting 2 weeks is not a problem but if it lasts longer than one month, it should be pursued. Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Tested positive for mycobacterium genus. Is this a serious problem? 2 days later
respected dr. XXXXXXX ,actually me and my wife are both ayurvedic doctors .our purpose for seeking ur advice was to clarify some things as we do not deal with such types of wife was suffering from sore throat without pyrexia and fatigue since 2 months.initially we ignored it but when we all of sudden noticed cervical lymph node[1 cm on ultrasonography] we got worried as tuberculosis is common in india.her cbc showed lymphocytes bit raised [40] other parameters was within range [esr 05].ultra sound whole abdomen is normal except mild cervicitis[1 to 2 nebothian cysts].x XXXXXXX chest is normal.tsh was bit raised now she is taking thyroxin 100 mcg.can we ignore tb pcr showing mycobacterium genus detected[mott]? what should we do now ?do u recommend any further test? or should we wait and watch as after taking co amoxyclav 625 for 7 days her cervical lymph node is looking small?is mycobacterium finding on tb pcr is reliable?kindly pay attention.thanks and regards ....XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 8 minutes later

Thanks for the details. Since Tuberculosis is common in India, it has to be ruled out. Further confirmation and tests needs to be done. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, antitubercular therapy needs to be initiated.

The whole decision can be done only after a detailed physical examination and investigation. So, I would advise you to consult an XXXXXXX medicine Specialist, at the earliest.

Follow-up: Tested positive for mycobacterium genus. Is this a serious problem? 29 minutes later
but as i mentioned xray chest and ultrasound whole abdomen is normal .cbc is normal .tb pcr is also negative for myc. tuberculosis,it is positive for mycobact. genus only.then what is the base for tb suspicion? her weight is stable [63 kg] since many yrs.general condition is improving after starting thyroxine.sore throat is much better after taking antibiotic course.dont u think now we can relax?
Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 1 minute later
Yes you can relax. The tb pcr negative was not clear previously, no worries.