Tested positive for chlamydia, prescribed azithromycin. Symptoms disappeared but came again. On Doxycycline Hyclate. Suggest?

I tested positive for chlamydia and was prescribed azithromycin. The symptoms disappeared for about a day and came back just as bad. I am now on day two of doxycycline hyclate. How soon should the symptoms start to lessen? And what happens if this doesn't work either? I haven't had sex at all since I was first diagnosed
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
takes 3 to 4 days

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Azithromycin 1 g as a single dose or doxycycline 100mg twice daily for 7 days are the first line treatment recommendations for chlamydia.

The response to your present regimen should be within 3 to 4 days,but the course must still be completed even when the symptoms improve.

Studies have shown both of these to be very effective in treating this infection. Azithromycin had a cure rate of 97 % and doxycycline of 98%.

Sexual activity can be resumed after doxycycline is completed if there is improvement of symptoms.

If this medication is not effective for you the other options are one of the following antibiotics : erythromycin, levofloxacin or ofloxacin.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions