Tested positive for Tetrahydrocannabinol but don't smoke marijuana. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I RECENTLY SIGNED A PAIN CONTRACT. I WAS TOLD THAT I TESTED POSITIVE FOR THC. I DONT SMOKE MARIJUANA. WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS AND CAN THEY REPORT THIS TO MY WORK?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
False positive test is not reported to work.

Detailed Answer:
The positive test for THC can be a false positive. This can happen due to medicines like pain killers - ibuprofen, naproxen, Ketoprofen, supplements, anti allergics like Promethazine, etc. Even passive smoking can cause a positive test.
Since the possibility of testing a false positive is present, this is not likely to be reported to your place of work. Please do not worry.
You can go for a repeat test after a week after stopping all the pain medicines and taking plenty of fluids orally to wash out the medicines from your body.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Tested positive for Tetrahydrocannabinol but don't smoke marijuana. Reason? 21 minutes later
I have had 2 caudal injections and a facet diagnostic procedure. I take oxycodone, Neurontin, Prilosec, and a muscle relaxer. I took aleve for a sinus headache and used a steroid nasal spray over the last few days. I also use jimmigel z neurogel topical gel. I had some swelling of of hands and feet and took hctz. Could the mixture of the meds cause the test positive. I am a health care professional. Does doctor patient confidentiality insure that it won't be reported? the clinic that did the test is prescribing the meds. I am having a nerve block in a week. will I have to be in pain to retake a test?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aleve can cause a false positive test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The medicines that you are taking can cause a false positive test. The doctor patient confidential reports are never divulged. In your case, a false positive test is a strong possibility. So, it is not likely to be reported to your work.
A repeat test is not usually required unless you are put on opioids for the pain management.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.